The Holidays are again fast upon us. So, here is my all important Thanksgiving Issue that has a fun, and hopefully helpful article for Holiday Eating. I trust you will enjoy it, and have a Healthy and Happy Holiday Season.
Thanksgiving Week Hours
We are open Thanksgiving week Mon., Tues, Wed., and even Friday. Our hours will be the usual, except that on Wed., we will only be open in the morning, until somewhere around 1:00, or however long it takes to fit everyone into the schedule. Call ASAP to make your appointment, so we can ensure you get taken care of.
Thanksgiving-Holiday Eating Tips + Dr. Dale Humor
Here we are again, fast approaching the one meal of the year that American's most commonly associate with "Being Stuffed". Yes, that feeling that you can barely move, and the only thing that most people can do after this meal is to sit in an over stuffed chair, and try to keep their eyes open for more than ten minutes.
Well, there is a simple solution, where you can have your cake (rather pie), and eat it too. Here are the keys to surviving Thanksgiving without feeling like a "Stuffed Turkey", and without gaining any significant amount of fat!
1. Make sure the meal has lots of different, tasty veggies that you love. I like to do variations on the traditional themes. For instance, I often make a mix of roasted onions, with a balsamic glaze, instead of the usual creamed onions.
2. If you are having wine or other alcohol on this day, wait to have some of your meal before starting in on your "drink of choice". Or, at least have an appetizer first. Drinking before you start eating will go right to your head, which will greatly increase the odds of your losing all dietary control. A little food in your stomach first, plus some self control on how much you drink, and you are much more likely to stay " un-sauced and un- stuffed".
3. Then, first eat a lot of the foods you know to be healthy and not weight gaining. Turkey and all the different veggies, salad, etc... Be sure to mostly fill up on these before you move on to the stuffing, potatoes and dessert. This way you can have some high carb foods, but really the amount is going to be relatively small. On the other hand, if you start out with the stuffing, you will end up stuffed, and end up eating less of the foods that keep you slim and trim.
4. If at all possible, try to get the gang to go for a walk after the meal. Even a 15 - 20 minute walk after eating this meal, will help refresh you, and keep you from falling into a deep slumber. I promise if you try this you will feel better after the walk, and you'll be glad you did it. If "the gang" doesn't want to go, grab one other smart soul, or go it alone!!
5. The most important key to preventing this meal from becoming the beginning of a major weight-gaining marathon, is to "send all the Carb-Loaded Leftovers home with your guests!" Yes this is a cruel punishment for them, but they probably won't mind, unless they're a Dr. Dale patient, also, which of course they should be! One bad meal, even if it leaves you stuffed, will only do temporary harm. Keeping the fridge filled with Calorie Rich Carbs is a Sure Sentence to Weight Gain.
6. What you do on Thanksgiving, is not nearly as important as what happens in the next few days. Either T-Day is the beginning of trouble, or a one-day blip on the scale. Here's a treat and one of the smartest things you can do for your "holiday health". This can turn Thanksgiving into a starting point for losing a couple of quick pounds. Now there's a new concept!! Take your leftover bones, make some great turkey stock (the longer and slower you simmer the stock the better) and then turn the leftover turkey into delicious turkey-vegetable soup, which you can eat for days, and lose weight while eating it!
7. Follow these same general guidelines for the rest of the Holiday Meals and Parties, then come the beginning of the year you will have maintained your weight or possibly even lost some. What a great gift to yourself!
These tips are best printed out and put on your refrigerator for all your guests to read. I hope this helps. It certainly was fun for me. Enjoy and Thank You for the Many Blessings You Bring to All of Us at "the clinic"!
In the next week or two, my new Website will be released! This new version will be in two layers. The home page will have similar information to our existing site for visitors and potential patients, the "login" section have a whole host of additional educational materials available for "patients only". Copies of the different phases of Dr. Dale's Healthy Weight Loss Diet will be in there, nutritional protocols, articles on products, F.A.Q's with answers to many of your very astute questions, and in the near future you will be able to order products right from the Website!
So, please keep you eyes out for the Big Announcement in these next couple of weeks! Oh, please see one more announcement below.
Please welcome our latest addition at the clinic, Christine Hogan. She will be working the front desk with Niko and Laurie and I am sure she will be a great support to all of our wonderful patients. She is smart, bright, very tidy and dedicated to providing a very high level of service to all of us she serves.
Healthy Holiday Gifts, and....
Wendy, (yes she still keeps her fingers in the clinic) and Laurie have been putting together numerous "healthy gift packages". Many patients appreciated their effort last year, making it easy to give a little "gift of health" to a loved one. These will be available starting the first week in December.
Also, soon after Thanksgiving, we will showcase 5 unique and talented artists, who will display their art throughout the clinic, for you to view, and maybe buy for a loved one.
Sign up using the form or call 805-687-0533 to make your appointment.