- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
O.K., here comes those Holidays once again. Please be sure to take great care of yourself during this stressful time of the year. Eat Well + Be Great with Your Supplements + Keep Up Your Exercise + Get Enough Sleep and You'll Enjoy Your Holidays a Lot More and You'll Enter the New Year Happy and Healthy!
On Sat. Oct. 23rd, I started and completed the Santa Barbara Century Bike Ride!
This was a 100 mile ride starting (in the dark and rain) and ending (in beautiful sunshine and warmth) at Leadbetter Beach. The ride included a lot of demanding hills, including Gibraltar Road and across to the top of La Cumbre Peak. The official elevation gain total was 9,600 feet, considered one of the hardest Century's in the country. Over 500 others did the Century and another 300 or so did a Metric version.
I'm glad to report "I Survived". Lots of training, lots of supplements, and for sure a fair bit of will power. It was also my very first century, and I will look forward to doing it again next year and for many years to come.
Additionally, this ride raised $42,000 from our entry fees that was donated to two charities; the Bici Centro (a Santa Barbara based organization that provides education, safety training, and used bicycles to those who would otherwise have trouble affording a bicycle), and Sports Outreach International (a program with educational and food programs for needy children in Uganda).
Many thanks to the founders of this new Century, for their foresight and tremendous effort, Bill Lindberg and Kalon Kelley, Co-Directors.
Once again my favorite sports team has reached the NCAA's! This is their 9th NCAA tournament appearance in a row! Only a few teams in the country have been this successful. The Gauchos' first playoff game is tonight vs. Univ. of Denver. It promises to be an intense game with the winner moving on to play Cal Berkley this Sunday in Berkley.
So come on out and support the Gauchos at home tonight!
Estrovera has been clinically shown to dramatically reduce the number of daily menopausal hot flashes. Additionally, it has clinically demonstrated effectiveness at relieving a wide range of other menopausal symptoms including: Sleep disturbances, poor mood, irritability and anxiety, physical and emotional exhaustion, heart complaints (e.g., racing), joint and muscle complaints, urinary tract symptoms, vaginal dryness and sexual problems.
Estrovera is a unique phytoestrogenic extract of a garden rhubarb species that has been used in Germany for menopausal complaints since 1993. It has an excellent safety record and in the vast majority of patients is clinically effective at just one small tablet a day. It was just recently made exclusively available to one of the professional supplement lines we carry.
With daily intake of Estrovera, we will know if this product works for you within the first month, often in the first week or two. If Estrovera does have a positive influence on your menopausal symptoms in the first month, which it does for over 85% of women, then usually the benefits increase over the coming months, becoming more and more effective.
Please stop by and ask for our brochure on Estrovera or let me know if you have any questions about this new and exciting product.
Over the years I have seen a number of bone drugs come and go. The latest that is soon to begin decreasing in use is the very popular Fosamax. Other meds in this family include Boniva, Reclast, Actonel and numerous other Bisphosphonate drugs.
The new cause for concern with this drug is a noted increase in rare femur fractures in women taking this medication. Additional risks have been reported, such as; osteonecrosis of the jaw, nausea, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, severe constipation, ulceration of the esophagus, skin rash, eye problems, generalized pain of the muscles, joints and/or bones, and significant hair loss.
At times these drugs are necessary, but I have always encouraged my patients to first try comprehensive nutritional protocols in areas where we have good success. One of the main reasons for my recommendations is that the safety, or more importantly lack thereof, of these drugs is never really realized until they have been in the market for many years. This is why drugs are frequently approved and then pulled due to safety issues, at a much later time, when many people have been adversely affected.
Additionally, it is very important to understand that drugs generally work by interrupting a normal biological process, rather than enhancing a normal biological process. With this comes risks, known or unknown.
So, unless it is absolutely the only option, I'd rather my patients not be guinea pigs and provide them with products that are actually going to support their body functioning optimally. Below you can read about the nutritional options for bone health that I have used for years.
If you are currently taking these medications and are wondering if you are a candidate for changing to our natural alternatives, please read the article below and let me know if you would like to discuss this.
OSAplex is a combination of the three ingredients that we use for patients with osteopenia or osteoporosis, conveniently combined into single serving packets. This combination of nutrients has been shown in research, and over the years in my practice, to be the best at stopping bone loss. In many cases it actually increased bone density, even in postmenopausal woman. Additionally, Osaplex replaces my prior protocol of Cal Apatite Forte, Regenemax and Vitamin D4000 at a significantly lower price.
OSAplex not only can improve bone density, but just as importantly can improve bone quality. What is often lost in bones besides density is flexibility. When bones are made healthier with quality nutrition, their flexibility can also increase.
Lastly, taking this combination of nutrients will also provide the added benefits of Regenemax, which include healthier skin (decreased fine lines), and stronger hair and nails. The research on this single product is extensive and the results in these areas have been very good with my patients.
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding OSAplex.
My wholesale price on Regenemax was lowered so the savings are passed on to you, it is now about 15% less per bottle. We have new brochures, which are quite thorough in reviewing how this supplement works, and all the different areas it works on. This unique, patented product imported from Europe is the best product I have ever seen for improving collagen production, which makes a significant difference in the health of skin, hair, nails and bones. Regenemax has been well researched, and provides definitive proof of its benefits in all of these areas. Please stop by and pick up a brochure if you want to know more about Regenemax.
Here we are again, fast approaching the one meal of the year that American's most commonly associate with "Being Stuffed". Yes, that feeling that you can barely move, and the only thing that most people can do after this meal is to sit in an over stuffed chair, and try to keep their eyes open for more than ten minutes.
Well, there is a simple solution, where you can have your cake (rather pie), and eat it too. Here are the keys to surviving Thanksgiving without feeling like a "Stuffed Turkey", and without gaining any significant amount of fat!
1. Make sure the meal has lots of different, tasty veggies that you love. I like to do variations on the traditional themes. For instance, I often make a mix of roasted onions, with a balsamic glaze, instead of the usual creamed onions.
2. If you are having wine or other alcohol on this day, wait to have some of your meal before starting in on your "drink of choice". Or, at least have an appetizer first. Drinking before you start eating will go right to your head, which will greatly increase the odds of your losing all dietary control. A little food in your stomach first, plus some self control on how much you drink, and you are much more likely to stay "un-sauced and un- stuffed".
3. Then, first eat a lot of the foods you know to be healthy and not weight gaining. Turkey and all the different veggies, salad, etc... Be sure to mostly fill up on these before you move on to the stuffing, potatoes and dessert. This way you can have some high carb foods, but really the amount is going to be relatively small. On the other hand, if you start out with the stuffing, you will end up stuffed, and end up eating less of the foods that keep you slim and trim.
4. If at all possible, try to get the gang to go for a walk after the meal. Even a 15 - 20 minute walk after eating this meal, will help refresh you, and keep you from falling into a deep slumber. I promise if you try this you will feel better after the walk, and you'll be glad you did it. If "the gang" doesn't want to go, grab one other smart soul, or go it alone!!
5. The most important key to preventing this meal from becoming the beginning of a major weight-gaining marathon, is to "send all the Carb-Loaded Leftovers home with your guests!" Yes this is a cruel punishment for them, but they probably won't mind, unless they're a Dr. Dale patient, also, which of course they should be! One bad meal, even if it leaves you stuffed, will only do temporary harm. Keeping the fridge filled with Calorie Rich Carbs is a Sure Sentence to Weight Gain.
6. What you do on Thanksgiving, is not nearly as important as what happens in the next few days. Either T-Day is the beginning of trouble, or a one-day blip on the scale. Here's a treat and one of the smartest things you can do for your "holiday health". This can turn Thanksgiving into a starting point for losing a couple of quick pounds. Now there's a new concept!! Take your leftover bones, make some great turkey stock (the longer and slower you simmer the stock the better) and then turn the leftover turkey into delicious turkey-vegetable soup, which you can eat for days, and lose weight while eating it!
7. Follow these same general guidelines for the rest of the Holiday Meals and Parties, then come the beginning of the year you will have maintained your weight or possibly even lost some. What a great gift to yourself!
These tips are best printed out and put on your refrigerator for all your guests to read. I hope this helps. It certainly was fun for me. Enjoy and Thank You for the Many Blessings You Bring to All of Us at "the clinic"!
"Habits change into Character"
Publius Ovidius Naso, aka Ovid (43 BC - AD 17)
Sign up using the form or call 805-687-0533 to make your appointment.
|Tuesday||10:00am - 12:30pm||2:30pm - 5:45pm|
|Thursday||10:00am - 12:30pm||2:30pm - 5:45pm|
|2:00pm||10:00am - 12:30pm||2:00pm||10:00am - 12:30pm||2:00pm||Closed||Closed|
|6:00pm||2:30pm - 5:45pm||6:00pm||2:30pm - 5:45pm||5:00pm||Closed||Closed|
|Tuesday||10:00am - 1:00 pm||2:00pm - 6:00pm|
What can we help you find?